According to a review from 2018, which was published by Trusted Source, Deep massage helps to extend and relax deep tissues. This kind of massage can assist in relieving pain and increasing the motion range of a person.
Deep tissue massage may be a good treatment for sports injuries and chronic back discomfort. It’s often thought of as a type of massage therapy.
Massage therapy for deep tissue can offer many benefits for various conditions, including chronic pain and certain illnesses.
It may ease back pain.
The research study from 2017 examined the effects of massage on males who suffer from ankylosing spondylitis, a type of arthritis.
Researchers divided their participants into two categories: therapeutic or deep tissue massage that does not use deep tissue massage techniques.
Participants received ten massage sessions over two weeks. Each session lasted for 30 minutes.
The study revealed that deep-tissue massage dramatically reduced pain when compared to a massage for therapeutic purposes.
It might help lower blood pressure.
Helps in the recovery process following injury
Studies suggest that both deep and soft tissue release could assist in healing after injuries like an ankle injury.
Massage can be helpful:
- Ease stiffness and pain
- Increase circulation and reduce swelling and buildup of fluid around the injury.
- Help speed the healing process for muscle strains and sprains.
- Restore the range of motion
A study from 2016 found that deep tissue massage decreased lower back pain for a 28-year-old pregnant woman.
The patient noticed it decreased lower back pain in 12 massage sessions, lasting 30 minutes, twice each week. Massage can increase serotonin and can ease discomfort in the legs and back.
Websites for massage therapy also recommend that deep tissue massage may help better sleep, boost athletic performance and also help to remove scar tissue.
Massage therapy, such as deep tissue massage, can be able to assist with the following:
- Health and mental health Massage can help alleviate signs of stress, anxiety, and depression. Massage may also provide relaxation and help improve the coping mechanism.
- Chronic lung disease: Massage may help to develop respiratory function.
- Digestive: Along with other treatments, massage could aid in treating chronic constipation.
- Treatment for pain massage could help reduce the pain of conditions like Fibromyalgia, arthritis as well as sciatica. It can also aid in treating headaches and ease pain during pregnancy.
What makes it different
Deep tissue massage is a targeted therapy for deep muscle areas, whereas other massage techniques could focus on the body’s surface regions.
Certain massages are best for specific ailments as an additional treatment option.
Massage strategies are:
- Swedish massage is suitable as a method of general relaxation and tension relief. It uses a kneading technique to improve the flow of circulation as well as stimulate the nerve endings in the superficial layers of muscles.
- Reflexology The treatment targets the pressure points that relieve the tension or pain in areas.
- Massage for neuro muscular disorders: To treat chronic injuries and pain and improve posture and muscle imbalances.
- Craniosacral Therapy: Light massages ease the body and encourage natural healing and alignment.
- Lymphatic drainage: A therapist uses gentle pressure to improve lymph fluid circulation and strengthen an immune system. Patients can use this type of massage to treat cancer, autoimmune diseases, and surgical procedures.
- Reiki Gentle pressure is applied to assist in healing to reduce pain and alleviate symptoms.
- Hot massage with stones: A therapist places heated stones on the body to release tension and stress, which allows the body to be relaxed.
What happens during the massage?
Before you begin your deep tissue massage, the massage therapist should know your problematic areas. A deep tissue massage may include your entire body or just one part of your body.
You’ll be asked to lay on your stomach or back underneath sheets when ready. The amount of clothing you wear is determined by your level of comfort. However, the area you’re working on must be exposed.
A massage professional will heat your muscles with a gentle touch. Once warmed up, they’ll begin working on the areas causing you pain. They’ll use deep kneading and pushing with various intensities of pressure.
Do you have any negative side effects?
It’s not uncommon to experience a lingering sore that lasts several days after the massage. Utilizing a heating pad or a cold compress wrapped in a towel could assist in relieving soreness.
While it is safe to massage, deep tissue massage requires extremely firm pressure and is not suitable for everyone.
Talk to your doctor before getting a deep tissue massage if you are:
- Have a history of blood clots or blood clotting disorder
- Are you using the blood thinner?
- Are you suffering from a hemorrhage disorder?
- Are you suffering from cancer or undergoing treatments for cancer, such as radiation or chemotherapy
Anyone with osteoporosis or cancer that has infected bones should not undergo a deep tissue massage since the pressure applied could result in fractures. It is also advised to avoid deep tissue massages if pregnant. More gentle massages, such as Swedish massage, might be the best option.
If you’ve got an open wound or infections of all kinds, you’ll have to be rescheduled to avoid creating a new infection or making one more severe.
How can I locate a therapist?
If you’d like to experience deep tissue massage, it is important to consult an experienced massage therapist.
To locate the massage therapist, you need the following:
- Ask your physician or physical therapist for a recommendation.
- Ask your family and friends members for recommendations.
- Search for the National Certification Board’s database for the database of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork from the National Certification Board.
- Make use of the American Database of the Massage Therapy Association.
While you look through the list of prospective massage therapists, be sure to keep the following points in your mind:
- Focus area. Not all massage practitioners are experts on deep-tissue massage. They are trained in various types of massage, while others concentrate their work on only one type or another. Please inquire whether they offer massage for deep tissue and what ailments they have experience treating.
- Price. Ask about the cost per session and whether they provide incentives to save money for clients, like a sliding scale option. It is also a good idea to consult your health insurance provider since some insurance companies offer massage coverage, particularly for conditions that require it.
- Certificates. Ask for credentials and ensure that the therapist has the right license to perform massage therapy in your area. Within the United States, most states regulate massage therapy.
It’s the bottom line.
Deep tissue massage is ideal for those who perform extreme physical activities such as running or suffer chronic pain or injuries.
Swedish massage is more relaxing and might be a better choice if you have a lower threshold for pain or are seeking relief from tight muscles. Talk to your physician before doing deep tissue massages in the event of an existing medical condition.